Sunday, February 8, 2015

Fix 1-2



As we continue to venture into the world of gaming and explore how its impact can not only improve the learning process, but can improve the entire world.  This week in particular, we not only continued to watch videos that express the importance of gaming in education, but we also began to read into the theory and practice of video games’s ability to change the world through Jane McGonigal’s book “Reality is Broken”.

Before further discussing the required topics, I believe it is necessary to share some personal reflection upon gaming and the current situation.  From this experience, I have further understood how the games can become addicting and even influence ones daily life.  For instance, I have found myself deviating from my work duties to jump into Settlers and make sure everything is running fine.  It is unfortunate, because of the nature of the game and its design, the island needs almost constant supervision, for mines quickly deplete, and nothing seems to remain sustained without the human aspect of the gamer making the decisions. 

Exploring the traits of the game, Settlers follows the basic design of goal, rules, feedback, and voluntary participation.  The goal is simple – continue to level up by meeting the various objectives that are listed.  Some goals are very easy to complete, while others remain on the list for future levels to be completed.  It’s just a reminder that there is much more to do, and that is just like dangling the carrot in front of you.

The rules of the game are similar to life – you need to work to make goods.  You need to trade those goods for other goods, and you must continue to work unless you want to lose everything.  Other basic rules include the searching for mines.  You just can but them, you need to search.  You must also fight to win your land back from the bandits, as well as explore adventures to continue to level up.

As far as feedback, the system provides you with a notice when tasks are met. In the case of Settlers, it is in the form of someone guiding you through the success.  Occasionally, you get an email from the King, asking you to work harder to make him happy. 
As this game is required for the class, one could argue that voluntary participation is not relevant for this game.  However, I have no doubt that many of you, like me have put more time into the game than required simply because you are engaged.  Hence, the whole purpose that gaming could improve education, ourselves, and our world.

The concept of gaming as a way to take on unnecessary obstacles never struck me as a possibility until I started to dwell upon the past games I have encountered.  Specially, I have been a fan of the God of War series since its inception.  As I am amazed at the graphics, action, and story, the immersion into Greek Mythology has fascinated me.  However, I recall the need to try additional special features of the game that allowed you to play against very difficult odds for challenges.  These challenges were more than just harder guys to fight, they entailed a little brain activity.  These challenges were not required, but the mere idea of not completing them drove me nuts.  I spent days on these various challenges, - some of which I gave up on.

Now back to Settlers, The verge of my skill set is rapidly growing due to the obstacles that must be overcome.  I need to obtain experience points, resources, and weapons.  It has enhanced my understanding of the gaming process and its ability to push your limits.

To conclude this blog, I reflect upon the emotional activation of the Settlers game. It is most satisfying when you are on an adventure and you finally beat the boss on the board.  Not only do you receive the awards in the game, but it makes you realize you are one step closer to the ultimate goal of level 50. However, as noted earlier – long periods of time in front of this game have not only interfered with my work, but have slowed me down from completing my school assignments on time.  With that, I now conclude so that I can finish up my current adventure in Settlers and level up to 35 real soon.

1 comment:

  1. Thom! I am so glad you are having success playing this game. Way to go! Level 35? That is beyond my goal even. I am still working at level 18 and I am hoping for level 20 by the end of the week.

    When blogging this week I did write about the neglect of real life being one of the negative consequences of this, or any game really. Although, I haven’t been hooked on Settlers, I have played Tetris or Wii Fit, through many evenings where I should have been fulfilling more important tasks. It was very easy for me to sacrifice laundry for “just one more time” that eventually turned in to several more.

    I compared the unfinished quests to dangling carrots, meaning you are extremely tempted and teased by these daunting tasks left unfinished. I on the other hand, have 0 state of flow. Your carrots are more like nagging chores to me. Each time I level up I do get pretty excited, but I hate that I have so much more to combat.

    Also, congrats on the adventuring too. I am still not to a level where I can go off frolicking yet. I hope to soon though!

    Happy gaming, my friend.

    ReplyDelete